Tuesday, March 3, 2009

The final countdown


Our lives recently have been consumed with all things baby related. I have been to the doctor bi weekly it seems between our Logan OB and our SLC Perinatologist. All of the travel takes its toll on me and then I am sleeping (or trying to!) whenever I can. My mind has simply been racing with all of the things we have to do still before Grant arrives... deep cleaning, packing and RV for a month, sorting out insurance issues, finishing school in half a semester (poor Kyle!), getting security clearance for Kyle's new job (anyone talked to the FBI yet?), etc.

Our hearts have been absolutely broken this last week for the sweet Gledhill family. We have posted about them on Grant's blog, but it is difficult to express the magnitude of influence that baby Gracie has had on us. She was the first that we "met" when we received Grant's diagnosis and we learned about the ins and outs of HLHS from her life and through her mom, Michele. We met their family for the first time in person only a few weeks ago when we visited Gracie during one of our many hospital stays. Kyle gave a beautiful tribute to little Gracie on Grant's blog, but I have to add a few thoughts of my own. We know that our lives are about to be flipped upside down. I am scared and nervous for the coming events, but I have been learning to live very much in the present. Life is a gift and one to be treasured. Since I am at the very end of this pregnancy (2 weeks left!), I thought that I better take a second to reflect on the wonderful things about carrying this special spirit. I don't know how long our time with him will be and I want to remember this time (while not documenting all of the discomforts that come with later pregnancy... man I am feeling exhausted!!).

* I love feeling Grant. We were so entertained by him a few weeks ago in a church meeting. My tummy was bouncing all over keeping us entertained as we watched rather than felt his movement. Even the people behind us were highly entertained!

* I love that my hair is stronger than ever. After the initial diagnosis, I lost hair in the handfuls, likely due to stress. Now, it is recovering, growing in again (I have tons of 2 inch long flyaways!), and shiny! Now if I only had the energy to do it every day!

* I have never had strong nails that grew before they peeled. My nails look like a professional manicured them... and it is natural!

* I love seeing Kyle's sweet daddy tendencies coming out in full force. He is extra protective of me and very nervous about letting me do things (walk down our steep driveway, shower when I feel dizzy, pick up the things that fall on the floor, etc.) He was always very tender, but I have never felt as loved as I do when I can see how evident his concern is for me and for our son.

* I enjoy seeing the looks I get from people in stores. Everyone wants to talk to the very pregnant lady and they all think that the extra 20 pounds you are holding onto are adorable! I feel a little fake since our anticipation of Baby Grant carries with it much trepidation, but how do you tell your life's story to every stranger who tells you that you look adorable and asks when you are due and if you are excited! Sometimes it is better to just keep quiet!

* I love that I can go to bed at 8 pm and fall asleep! I have never been able to do that. Too bad I can't stay asleep for more than a short time though before waking up to take tums and visit the bathroom!

* I love knowing that Heavenly Father has entrusted us to be the parents of this special spirit. I don't know what he sees in us, but I feel a closeness to heaven when I think of meeting this little guy.

Kyle took some maternity shots the other day and I thought he did a great job. I am grateful to be able to have children and to get the chance to have this little guy join us. Perhaps this is an appropriate post to put on Grant's blog, but it is really more of what Kyle and I have been focused on recently. Stay tuned for future weeks... we have the wedding of my brother Nate coming up and then we are at Induction day!

p.s. we did get our taxes done and we did get a refund after all of those long hours! I was also able to convince the University to issue me a new diploma since our mailman destroyed ours. Phew! This time I picked it up in person... no sense risking it!

9 comments:

Brooke said...

You are AMAZING!! (and you look beautiful) If you dont know what the Lord sees in you,... go back and read these last two posts by you and Kyle. THAT is what he sees!!

Jerolyn & Bruce said...

You look absolutely beautiful Alli!
You're getting to be quite the photographer, Kyle. Baby Grant seems to be quite the fighter in your tummy. We pray he continues to be that strong on earth!
Love you guys!!

Us Bailey's said...

You look so cute pregnant Alli! And I think your pretty wonderful as well. I loved feeling Joel move in my tummy too. I think he was practicing wrestling moves in my tummy- at least thats what it looked like! Good luck in these coming weeks and I will be praying for you!

Chase and Amy said...

Yay for cute pregnant pictures! No bare belly huh? jk :p

Cherie said...

I've been thinking about you guys a lot lately! I love the pregnancy picture....you look absolutely beautiful! You guys are in our prayers :)

Jake and Emily Huckaby said...

That was my first thought too. You look BEAUTIFUL. I have been thinking about you so much. We'll be praying that all goes well.

forsgren@wic.net said...

Boy am I glad you didn't have to bend that mail man in half and do some stuffing of your own.
Hurray for Tax returns, they always came in handy for us. Should we stay in SLC until you have little Grant?? It might be a long wait for us. I am getting real excieted for yall.
Love reading about yall and how soon we will be hearing how much hair he has, and ten little toes and figers, etc. Can't help wanting to be there with you all the way through. In any event we will will still keep you in our prayers, that seem to do the most good of all other. Love Grandma

Harmony said...

You look so cute! I'll be following Grant's story.

Kelsey said...

So sweet. Pregnancy is such a special time. It is amazing how much love you can feel for someone you have never seen. Powerful stuff. Isn't being a mom great?