Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Welcome Grant!


We are a little late in updating this blog, but I am certain that anyone checking this blog also already check Grant's blog and have been reading on his miraculous little life! In effort to at least document this major event for our family, here we go!


WELCOME GRANT KYLE! Born March 20th, 2009 at 12:23 am. Weighing in at 7 lbs, 8 oz and 20.5 inches long, this little guy kept his mom in labor for 26 hours! After being so exhausted and HUNGRY (it had been 31 hours since I had eaten anything and the nurses would not let me have anything since they were worried I would aspirate during a C section if it had to go that way) Kyle and I were both done! Kyle laid down to sleep around 11 on Thursday night and at midnight when I was yelling at him and screaming to wake up, he didn't move! Eventually a nurse heard me (my call button had fallen off the bed!) and she rushed in with two other nurses and three doctors. One of them finally got Kyle to wake up and after 20 minutes of pushing, Grant was here!



He had his first open heart surgery on March 24th and is recovering fairly well. He contracted an intestinal infection and after he was born, we learned that he also had Heterotaxy and is missing his spleen. The right side of his body duplicated itself in a condition called right atrial isomerism. We will undergo GI surgery tomorrow morning and hopefully bring this little guy home before May arrives! More details on his life can be found by clicking on the link to Grant's blog on our sidebar.

We are so grateful to all of the doctors and nurses who have kept his little body alive. He is pictured above with his heart surgeon, Dr. Philip Burch, a true lifesaver. We love this man for being the second to save his life (after Dr. Michelle Zebrack who resuscitated him his first night in the PICU when he crashed).

Since this blog is devoted to things happening in our lives, it might be a little sparse for a while since we have been living at the hospital for three weeks and the only thing that happens for us is what happens with Grant. Maybe we will have something else to post soon, but for now, keep checking Grant's blog!

6 comments:

forsgren@wic.net said...

WOW I am the first, I can't believe it. We are still proud of you and you have done to keep little Grant alive thus far. More blessings will come you way soon. I hope. We keep you all in our prayers and wish we could be of some help, but I know that you want to have your little family close at hand. We love you lots and many more hugs comeing your way to. Love Grandma Great

Michelle and Andy said...

It's good to hear the L&D story from your point of view! I don't remember Kyle posting that he fell asleep, that's hilarious (though not at the time!). Andy fell asleep a a couple of times during mine, and felt really bad when he woke up. Mine was long, like yours. Except my pushing was 2 hours... but all in all, about the same time. No fun! I remembering when he was finally born, I thought "thank goodness he's out". None of those nobler thoughts of motherhood at that time. You were probably better than that! :)

LittleFamilyJL said...

He is absolutely beautiful! What a miracle it all is! We are so happy for you and continue to pray that things go well.

Dawn said...

well what can I say. you have a beautiful little baby boy. I thought you forgot about your blog here but keep us posted on Grant's. Prayers are coming your way. I have a good friend Linda and she is glued to your blog on Grant. She has fallen in love with you all. Love you to all Dawn

Devony said...

Love the additional new pictures! You guys are amazing and wonderful. I was glad to hear the L&D story more fully as well! How funny that Kyle fell asleep! We love you guys! Congrats on sweet little Grant and keep us updated on all of his life! We love it and him!

The Axtell's said...

I am so glad that Grant is doing well..you are in my prayers and we are always thinking about you!! Love you Ali!!