Monday, March 28, 2011

Blanket Boy

I was a blanket kid... in fact I still have my baby blanket and slept with it nightly right up until I got married (sad right?!). I don't know if it is hereditary or not, but we also have a blanket kid. Sneaking his blankets and special animal lovies away for a washing is an ordeal every time, but today was the worst I have ever seen! I took the blankets into the washing machine when Grant was distracted in another room, but he caught me. This was the result for the next 90 minutes until they were sufficiently dry to let him have them back.


I felt like such a mean mom, especially because Grant refused to leave the washer's side until his beloved blankets were back in his arms. I left him there while I cleaned the kitchen and he ran to me and grabbed my hand to get my attention. He was letting me know that the dryer had stopped and he was not waiting one minute longer! In a blur, he had his monkey and puppy out and the blankets were next!

He then proceeded to arrange himself with his blankets and laid on the floor finally happy for the next ten minutes straight. I on the other hand laughed about it for the next four hours. I am glad that this is the biggest stress in his mind right now.



All is well in the world again. :)

13 comments:

Nate said...

Do you have a hot swap blanket and animal that you can pacify him with while his main one is getting washed?

Allison said...

Unfortunately, that is why he has 2 blankets and 2 animals! They were designed to be a back up set, but about 8 months ago, he attached himself to all four and now they are a package deal. Sadly, we try to find new blankets that are similar to the old ones and he will not attach to them. He just pushes them aside!

Jared said...

Oh that's such a cute story! I love the pictures. My boys do the same thing with their special little animals. It's pretty cute :)

Jake and Emily Huckaby said...

That is so sweet! I love the picture with him and his blankets in a big pile on the floor!!

Delli said...

It's so fun to see all your posts! The basement looks great - wow - LOTS of hard work! And I totally understand about the blankets....at least you wash them though. My mom finally just gave up and would let me go WAY too long without washing. Gross huh? :P

Anonymous said...

HAHAH that is the cutest saddest thing I've seen all day! We sure miss you guys and love to keep in touch via blogs!---Kim

Brooke said...

Too funny! Both of my kids are blankie kids, too. I still remember YOUR blankie! ;) An off white satin with burgundy ties, right?

Jake and Emily Huckaby said...

That picture was so cute, I had to come look a second time.

Michelle said...

Aww, that is so cute!!

Us Bailey's said...

Ahhh that is so cute! I love that picture of Grant on the floor with all his blankets! It made me smile!

The Larchars said...

Oh my gosh- so funny- and those tears... poor kiddo. I can't believe that he stayed by the washer, wow! I have a super hard time sneaking Grace's blanket to wash too, but not like this. So funny!

Chelle said...

He and Turin sound like two peas in a pod. I can't get turin out of his crib unless he's holding at least THREE blankets. WHen I asked him if he had sweet dreams, he always says, "Yeah." Then I ask him what he dreamed about and he always says, "My bankeys." I wonder if little boys get attached to a "lovey" more than little girls? B/c Siena was never like that. But I have known lots of little boys who can't live without their blankies. Oh, and BTW--we were worried about the heart b/c Jared's dad has a heart defect and I know that you know my nephew Tyler does--so since we have them on BOTH sides of the family that puts us at a lot higher risk!

Laura said...

How adorable! I can imagine the stress :)