Saturday, January 10, 2009

We fought... the Recession Won...

Not really my favorite news today, but still important to document and share. Yesterday, Kyle arrived at work (he works as a purchasing manager for a company that manufactures hydraulic parking and storage units) and began his tasks as normal. Within a few hours, he was called into his boss' office where he was informed that the company was basically shutting down to preserve investors funds (since sales have been so low). That meant a company wide layoff effective immediately. No severance package, no two weeks, no warning. They were told to pack their desks and go home.

We feel blessed that he was extended a few extra months after he survived the first layoff, but this was devastating to me. We have so many unknowns and we were counting on trying to build savings so we could live without working as much during the initial week's of Grant's arrival and surgeries. Now, we are not really sure what to do. I continue to temp at LDS Family Services working when they need me (depending on the week) and I am working for a professor on campus which helps to cover our monthly rent costs, but Kyle was truly our bread winner. After his shock, he drove to every tax preparation place in Logan looking for tax season work (which fits perfectly with the few months we have until Kyle finishes school, graduates, and begins his new job). So far no luck... seems like the slow economy is really hitting and no one is hiring. On Monday, we will try to file for unemployment and register at a temp agency and begin looking for any other possible ideas to keep a paycheck for a few more months. Any ideas for short term work anyone?

I am discouraged, but we are holding up the best we can. It feels a little unfair to have this stress in the midst of so many other challenges, but we are truly blessed and have had many angels assisting us in recent months. Looks like our trial of faith was not just in Grant's birth, but in the months preceding as well. My dad keeps telling us that there will be a window opening somewhere that will help us see the reasons for this, but the tunnel vision seems long right now. Thanks again to everyone for continuing to think of us and pray for the best for our family and for baby Grant. We really do feel that support and appreciate each of you!

13 comments:

Dawn said...

Oh, I feel so sorry for you guys. I know just how you feel. Your dad is right some window will open and maybe you can forget all about this part of your life...

Love ya Dawn

Chase and Amy said...

Awww man you guys! We'll keep our eyes open for you. I'm giving you a hug right now... :)

Us Bailey's said...

Alli, I am so sorry! We will keep you in our prayers. I hope something works out. Just remember Heavenly Father knows each of us and our trials as well as our joys. He will help- I know this! Let me know if you need anything.

Hamlie said...

You only need a high school diploma to substitute teach in Utah. It's not always guaranteed work, but a lot of subs are needed during cold and flu season. Just a thought I had, as I read your blog today. Let me know if I can do anything for you :)

Beattie Family said...

That really does stink. When it rains, it pours! I did hear that the census is hiring, that's about all I know, you can google their website. Good luck!

Cindy Robinson said...

don't just listen to your father, believe! Seems like a lot to deal with, but the light at the end of the tunnel will come.
Just wondering...if you are motion sick from the rollercoster you are on. Keep your chins up!
We love you, and you are in our prayers every night.

Brooke said...

oh, Allison I'm so sorry. DeJa vu. My husband got laid off 2 months before I had my little micro preemie. It was hard, but we made it. The Lord does provide. Hang in there. Our prayers are with you.

Shannon said...

When it rains- it pours huh?!? We are pullin for ya! A day at a time. You guys are too tough apparently to handle the *little* trials- stack them up baby!

The Webber's said...

You're in our prayers! Temp agenceies, sub teaching at child care centers or in the school district is always a possibility. The job market is like 2 columns max (used to be 2 pages) because jobs are sucky at the moment. then there is always the food industry or grocery - not glamorous but will pay the bills. Good luck - I'm positive you'll not only get through it but come out on top! We love you!
~Beth, Bry, and Brynn

The Webber's said...

Just had a thought

If you guys EVER need a break or to temporarily step out of reality - come stay with us! We've got a spare bedroom, a crazy active toddler who you can't help but laught at, and you know you miss us! Plus you've got Mark and Deb plus lots of other cousins who would be more than thrilled to see you! Drop us an email or call 970-946-7673 if you ever want a weekend/week long get away! :)

Love you guys!

forsgren@wic.net said...

I can't help but repeat what has already been said. I'm going to send you a letter of hope and PLEASE let me know when you get it. I'd like to do more but every little bit helps, no pay backs is necessary. Life stinks sometimes doesn't it. Love ya Grandma

Stephanie said...

Good luck with everything, you guys. We know how is feels to be poor! Just keep doing the things you are suppose to and stay close to the Lord. If nothing else, he will provide comfort and peace during these trials. I know that he has for us during our job search!

Michelle and Andy said...

I'm so sorry Alli. We've been praying for you guys!