Monday, January 10, 2011

Like Father Like Son, January 7, 2011

Saturdays are often full of projects and with those projects often comes resentment (just being honest here!). Kyle and I had several weeks in a row where we would both just laugh on Thursday or Friday nights as we discussed plans for the weekend because it would turn into our "weekend disagreement". Kyle wants to work on our basement and I want a break/spend time as a family/do something other than be a mom. Unfortunately, our weekend desires rarely worked together because if he was working downstairs, I was stuck on Grant duty trying to keep Grant out of his hair (while Grant whined and cried all day because he wanted to be downstairs with Daddy).

This last weekend, Kyle spent some serious time cleaning up all of the potential hazards and we struck a great compromise. Now that Grant is a little more solid in his walking skills, we strapped some shoes on him and Kyle patiently let Grant "help" him with the weekend project.

Grant got a tool kit from my parents and he was more than happy to use his toy hammer and saw to help build the framework to encase our ducting. Kyle reported that Grant was really content to sit and watch, pound on the boards, and he didn't even get scared when the air compressor, shop vac, our nail guns were being used. In the meantime, I was able to get some uninterrupted cleaning time in and I took a relaxing shower without having to tend to a toddler. Heaven! We are entering a new stage of life with a little boy who is finally acting less like a baby and more like a toddler. Part of me is sad that my baby is growing up, but it warmed my heart to see how much he adores and emulates his Daddy.


Since Kyle was home for almost 2 weeks during the holidays, he and Grant formed a bond. Grant now asks for Daddy (Na-Na) at least 30 times a day and he even crawled into his lap instead of mine the other day for comfort! Now we are making progress!

6 comments:

Jerolyn & Bruce said...

These are precious bonding moments!! Brings tears to my eyes! Way to go Grant!!! xoxoxo
Gma Jer

Us Bailey's said...

What a cutie! Glad Grant is liking Kyle so much! We love it when there is daddy/sons time at our house! Amazing what you can get done without a little one. I heard a line that said you know your a mom when cleaning by yourself is a vacation. I laughed at that one! Good luck and keep it up!!!

Rachel said...

I can totally relate--it's hard when Daddy has stuff he needs to get done, too, but that means Mommy doesn't get a break! Tough to resolve. I'm glad you got some time to yourself, and glad that Grant loves his daddy!

Delli said...

How sweet! And I'm glad you were able to get some much deserved time off. :)

The Larchars said...

Oh my gosh, those pics of Grant helping are so priceless! I'm so glad he got to help out in the basement and give you a break. I TOTALLY know what it's like having the little one constantly, so I feel for you. :-)

p.s. I wanted SOOO badly to stop by and visit you guys this past weekend. If my parents hadn't been driving I TOTALLY would have. Still hoping to see you some time! :-)

The Hickman Family said...

Ha ha! That's how our weekend always starts! Jared wants to work on projects, which means I'm doing what I do ALL week - "mom duty".