Monday, May 17, 2010

A Perfect Day, May 15, 2010

I have been reflecting today that it was one year ago today that we finally were able to bring Grant home from the hospital for the first time. Wow. How far we have come. I want to be sure that I record some of our day to day moments here on the blog because of the impact that they will have on me when I take the time to look back and reflect. Friday night, Kyle and I had my mom come over to stay at our house for a few minutes while we went to run some errands.
We had spent the day cleaning, weeding our yard, spraying weeds in the lots next to us, grilling chicken outside on the BBQ, and just being together. That evening, as we were driving to Home Depot to price out bathtubs for our basement project, I had a moment. One of those moments I want to remember over and over. Kyle was holding my hand, the windows were down with a warm breeze in my hair, and the radio had a nice upbeat song playing. I turned to Kyle and we both agreed that it had been a really truly awesome day. Working together, enjoying warm weather, playing with Grant, and spending time outside after being quarantined inside for a very long germ filled winter was just what my soul needed. The flowers were finally coming out to prove that the winter (both in season and as a metaphor for our last roller coaster of a year) was over.
I had tears in my eyes as I told my sweet husband that today was the type of day I had always hoped and dreamed I would have one day. He was a little confused (considering he thought I had far more lofty goals than killing dandelions!). I laughed and clarified that I had always dreamed of a great marriage where we could work beside one another and enjoy the good times even after some hard times. It didn't matter that Grant had thrown up on me a few minutes before and was coming down with croup. It didn't matter that I had been sick all week long and felt exhausted. We were living in the moment and life is good.

7 comments:

Katrina said...

Thank you for sharing. That was really nice to read. I cant wait until our time comes that we can work in a yard, and bbq on a grill. Two things not in our life right now. Someday!

Us Bailey's said...

Thats wonderful Alli! Isn't it nice to have those moments and realize that we are truly blessed. And congratulations on having Grant home for a year! Yeah!

Jerolyn & Bruce said...

What sweet memories and moments of gratitude!! We love you guys! Thank you for taking such great care of our sweet grandson!! gma jer

forsgren@wic.net said...

See I told you things would get better at times. LOL Grandma

Anonymous said...

It is about time you guys get one of those days. I hope there are a whole lot more coming around for you!

Brandon and Erica said...

That was so sweet Alli! You are such a great writer! I could envision your entire Perfect Day :) And the weather really was gorgeous to boot!

You have such a cute little family.

xoxo

Heather, Todd, Elliana, & Sienna said...

Great reminder, Alli, to enjoy the less-exciting but very satisfying calm moments of peace in our lives. Thanks for the entry!