Tuesday, April 17, 2012

34.5 weeks

It has really hit me that I only have a few short weeks until we are a family of four. Kyle snapped these pictures at 30 weeks after church one Sunday (I have not taken any other belly shots! Kyle's rarely home for me to do it!) You can imagine that I am now even more round. Over the weekend, Kyle and I were snuggled up playing lego's with Grant and watching a movie and I realized that we only had a few more quiet Sunday evenings where Grant could have our entire focus. I am kind of nostalgic, nervous, and excited all at once. Since I did hardly anything to prepare for Grant (my heart couldn't handle coming home to a lot of baby stuff without a baby), I feel like I am scrambling around like a first timer with this baby.

I had an ultrasound at 33 weeks and baby boy was measuring 5.8 lbs and was almost a full two weeks ahead of schedule. That moved my new due date from May 26th to May 15th which is only a few weeks away! Kyle will be taking a summer class that begins May 14th and finishes the week of July 4th (are we crazy for punishment or what?!) and so between him finishing his semester, I feel like time is slipping by too quickly! My doctor is really pushing me to have an induction so that baby doesn't weigh 10 lbs, but I would really like to experience what going into labor on my own is like (Pitocin and I did not get along well last time around). Officially now, I am trying to do what I can to get my body ready in hopes that he will come naturally around my "new" due date (or a few days before since Kyle has to start classes!). Please pass along your tips and tricks for starting labor, or some of the things that were really good coping/distraction methods in your labor. With Grant, I wasn't able to do anything on my own terms since they had to monitor him so closely. I was strapped to a bed for 27 hours and I would really like this experience to be totally different. Best part is, I know that after this labor is done, I will actually get to hold and snuggle my baby and take time to recover, instead of immediately worrying if he would stabilize and survive the surgeries in store for him. We feel so new to having a newborn and I am so excited to have the "normal" experience and bring home a baby who is a few days old instead of being almost 3 months old!

7 comments:

Cherie said...

I'm so happy for you that you are going to get a more "normal" experience and boy are you a cute pregnant lady! :) I can imagine that this is so different from your pregnancy with Grant. You always amaze me, Alli, and your kids are sure lucky to have such a great Mom! Good luck these next few weeks. I wish I had labor inducing tips for you, but seeing as I had 2 scheduled C-sections, I'm not much help in that department! I hope someone has some good tips for you! :)

Chelle said...

You could always try castor oil. He he...that worked for putting me into labor with Siena (although it does clean you out). Having your membranes stripped often does the trick too. Good luck!!! Your belly looks darling!

Michelle said...

Good luck Alli! I've heard that ultrasounds aren't always that accurate in predicting size... My midwife said that what helped the baby get in can help the baby get out sometimes. :) Although, I think all the tips in the world don't really help unless your body is ready to start anyways and maybe they'll trigger it a litter sooner. But I hope you will go into labor on your own around your new due date!

K.E.N said...

When I had my ultrasound and they said I was measuring two weeks ahead I asked if that meant he would come sooner and my doctor laughed and said that the bigger the baby, the less likely they are to come early--I hope for you that that isn't the case, though. Good luck! And bringing home a newborn is definitely something to experience and I'm excited for you to be able to do it this time.

The Hickman Family said...

I'm so excited that this delivery will be relatively "low stress". I'm sure everything will seem so easy compared to last time. Grant looks so grown up and I'm sure he'll be a great big brother!

Megan said...

You look wonderful! I'm so excited for you guys!! (I'm awful at leaving comments, but still a faithful reader). I'm so glad you get the experience of a real newborn this time around.....and SO glad this baby is healthy. Best of luck to you!! (And thanks again for visiting Beau and I in the hospital---that meant so much! And thanks for all the insurance advice.....it's all still in the works, but I think it's all going to work out!!) Oh, and my ultrasound in the hospital said Beau would be 3.5 pounds.....he came out at 4 lbs 11 oz. So much for accuracy, right? Let's hope your's isn't as off base as mine was! :)

Us Bailey's said...

Alli! You look so cute! Good luck with everything! If you find something that works let me know-- my body still doesn't go into labor by itself! Can't wait to see that cute little boy!