Friday, February 21, 2014

Early December

We had a fairly dry November and it appears that I didn't pull my camera out at all. We spent Thanksgiving at Kellie and Spencer's this year because Kyle was cramming for his final projects and his orals for his MBA and we needed to stick close to home. Kellie posted a bunch of photos back in November (she is good like that). We did get our first decent snowstorm and Grant was SO EXCITED to go out and play. Unfortunately, it was windy and bitterly cold. He still wanted to go out and so we spent 20 minutes to bundle them up to go out. They were both too cold to show their excitement, but we had to pry the shovels out of their hands to take them inside. Kyle thought they were crazy, but had to be the one to supervise since I was cooking dinner and Grant is prone to stop breathing in cold wind. Ugh.





I loved these pictures because this is such a great snapshot of our lives. Dad gets home and the kids want nothing more than to clobber him with wrestling matches and hugs.

We cut our tree down as a family and we actually let the kids help decorate this year (we usually set it all up when they are in bed). Miles was in love with the bells on our tree and would rearrange them hourly. Thankfully he never bugged the rest of the tree and seemed to know which ornaments were ok to touch and which ones he needed to leave alone.


Grant thought this was the best method for decorating up high.



Sadly, this is the only picture I took to document one of the BEST DAYS of December. Kyle's orals for his MBA program (kind of like his final project defense) was the first week of December. All semester, he had been working with a few other students to help develop a business plan and execute a series of goals to help a local business. Kyle developed a massive cost tracking system for this client (a local cheese maker and wholesale distributor) and his role was influential in the success of their project and helping the business. I went with him to ISU that morning to watch the process and since it was customary to provide drinks for your faculty panel, we decided to make a cheese platter (holiday themed of course). His team did great and they all passed. Kyle officially finished his final classes the second week of December and was granted his MBA. We are so proud of him. It was very difficult to be employed full time and then have 2 classes a semester. He was in class or working on group project 2-3 nights a week (we were lucky if we got to see him for a quick hour before he left for class) and spent every other night and every weekend working on his homework and readings. It was very tough on our whole family. The kids missed him and I was probably not as supportive some days and I ought to have been (I have so much respect for single parents). It really was a team effort since I often did his readings so I could help edit papers and offer assistance on assignments. We are so proud of him and it is honestly the BEST feeling to know that we have a weekend now that can be free from homework.
Our elf Bernard arrived partway through December and Grant was so excited to see him again. He is a very nice elf and likes to play hide and seek and occasionally bring a little treat or activity for our family. We love having him around.




Lastly, Papa got a new truck and dropped by to show us one day. We had to document that it actually started clean (for those who know my dad and his bad history with his vehicles). My favorite feature is the heated seats since it comes in very handy after snowmobiling!


2 comments:

Nate said...

Welcome back to the blogosphere - glad to see new posts and more up-to-date pictures.

Chelle said...

Fun pics! That tree looks beautiful. I love that the kids were so excited about helping to decorate it. what a relief to have Kyle done with his program. I can only imagine how stressful that was!