
We have been busy this Holiday Season! After Christmas in Idaho, we went back to work for a few days and then met up with Kyle's family who were staying with grandparents in Provo. Though I forgot to take any photos there, we had a great time playing with them. Kyle's mom made us a BEAUTIFUL quilt for Christmas made in shades of brown's and blues. It is so cute and we got to try it out while staying on the air mattress in the front room! We left Provo Sunday morning when Kyle's family began their journey back to AZ and headed back to Idaho Falls so that we could spend the New Years with family visiting the Rexburg Temple Open House! We drove through a blizzard and though there were deceptively clear roads in some places, we had a nasty drive with winds gusting so hard that the fresh snow created walls where you literally could not see more than 10 feet in front of you. I was terrified that we would slam into someone in front of us or be hit by behind for the icy roads and lack of visibility. Thankfully, we made it safely.
If Kyle were writing which he usually neglects to do...he thinks I have made this page too "girly!" ...he would be sure to tell you about his first attempt at snowmobile "hunting". My dad, happy to have a playmate, took Kyle out to the boondocks to play in the snow and test out my dad's new gun (his Christmas present to himself). The farmers int he area struggle with an overpopulation of Jack Rabbits, so these two decided it was time to practice target shooting with live moving animals. :-( The best part was that my dad was surprised when Kyle outshot him! now Kyle wants 22 for his birthday....**sigh**. So much for not marrying the hunter!

We spent New Year's Eve with my family watching August Rush (Awesome movie with great music too!) and then back to my house with Kellie and her friend Nate for a Gilmore Girls marathon (girls pick!) and some relaxing. We welcomed in the new year by attending the Open house of the Rexburg temple. Before temples for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints are officially dedicated and opened for work, they allow the members of the community to take tours through the buildings guided by local members. We attended with some friends of my dad who were not members of our faith and my belief in temples was strengthened as I was able to share my beliefs and teach these friends about some of the symbolism found in temples. It was the best way to start the new year!
One funny story about the day...my mom and sister recently dejunked my grandmother's home and in the process found a large bag full of mail order nylons that she had on a standard monthly order back when women wore skirts continuously. Since I must wear them to work, they decided to bring these back for my use because grandma couldn't bear to see them go to waste. Well, I like free stuff and so I wore a pair of these nylons to the Open House. One slight problem... it seems that with age, the elastic has lost its ability to hold shape. I learned this the hard way as I tried to hike up my ever falling down nylons...from the truck all the way through the tour up to the temple. In the long trail of path they lead you through to get to the temple itself, they had found their way down to my knees and were steadily falling further. It was very difficult to walk and maintain the Spirit with such an obvious problem. Finally, I decided despite the 6 degree temperature, I would just ditch the things altogether...much to the shock of other patrons and the Young Women who were there to assist with plastic shoe covers!! Must have been a pretty funny sight to see me yanking off my nylons from around my ankles! :-) Maybe I will think twice before wearing something (even if it is new!) from my grandma's 1960's wardrobe again!
We enjoyed catching up with many friends and seeing our families and now we are sad to have to return to work and school! Happy New Year!
3 comments:
Haha, that's so funny about the nylons! :) I'm still laughing...
I love your red coat!
HA HA!! Love the nylon story. That's great that you got to go to the open house. We ended up missing it by a few hours. My family had tickets for 10:30 on the 29th, and we flew out at 12. . . little too close. I guess we'll just have to make it to a session later. Anyway, Happy new Year and glad you were able to get your movie back!
Post a Comment