For the last two weeks, I have been filling in as a secretary at LDS Family Services while the main FT front desk person was away in Hawaii. I had mixed feelings going into this whole experience. For some reason, I wondered how I would feel going from the expert "therapist" role to being the first experience that a person had when they walked into our agency. I wondered if other therapists might look down on me (after I had worked so hard to gain their respect as a colleague) or if the Directors might begin to think of me as a student again instead of a therapist who had received almost perfect satisfaction marks over the last two years by her clients. I learned a few interesting things and I wanted to be sure to record them so that I remember these lessons.
1). Just because a person is a therapist, one cannot assume that they actually have social skills. I was shocked to discover some of the atrocious behavior of some therapists. One expected the front desk to personally call his cell phone prior to scheduling any appointments with an existing (not to mention new) clients. He refused to schedule his own clients and threw fits when he felt like he had not been informed of the smallest change (not to mentrion he is responsible and has access to the same schedule everyone else has! The front desk usually has two people to cover at a given time... not to mention 23 other therapists and their clients to worry about. Come on people!
2). Just because a person is a therapist at an LDS Agency, one cannot expect that they have morals! I was shocked by the lack of integrity of some people. One therapist in particular seems to take clients back for their 50 minute session about 15 minutes late and then brings them out again 10 minutes before they should be done. Then, she proceeds to charge them for a FULL 50 minute session... EVERY TIME! This is just plain wrong! I also found in our office that therapists who have 8 o'clock sessions seem to think that they can show up at 8:15 and be just fine... imagine me being at the front desk trying to apologize to three clients who arrived at 7:45 am to have time to prepare for their 8 am sessions and having to tell these clients that their therapist was just plain late and would likely not be there for 15 more minutes. Plain and simple people... if you schedule an appointment at a given time, be there. If you cannot make it there that early (which consistently happens) DO NOT SCHEDULE AT 8 AM!
3). Some clients can be just plain RUDE. I know that people in distress are often not looking at life in a rational manner, but come on! We had one lady this week who called and told us that she HAD to be seen ASAP and that she was in crisis mode (we do not offer crisis care and referred her to the hospital). She insisted that she be seen and proceeded to call at least 2x a day to see if an appointment in a nearby town had opened up (despite us telling her that we were aware of her need and would call her). Miraculously, we were able to finally fit her in. Yesterday, she called back without an ounce of apology and told me she would not be making it because she forgot that she was attending a PARADE that day... A PARADE people. If you mental state is in crisis mode and you trying to receive help for Bi Polar disorder, do not act BiPolar to the staff. You are officially my least important concern after you showed us that we were really not as important as you initially led us to believe.
4). When the LDSFS Commissioner comes to town, everyone must act serious and proper. We are in the process of reorganinzing our highest levels of hierarchy within the agency and the soon to be announced commissioner came to do a site visit this week. We did not receive a heads up until just hours before. I received a frantic phone call from the agency reminding me to "wear my nylons"!! I thought it was hysterical. Our personal director understands that our missionary dress code is not fun for the ladies in the heat of summer (98 degrees every day this week!) so he does not enforce this (in effort to not create mutiny among the female ranks). However when the commissioner comes to town, we all jump any hoop needed!
5). I love the secretarial staff. I knew this far before the experience, but they have such an awesome sense of humor to work in the setting that we do... and juggle so much! what amazing and fun people! We brought treats, shared life stories, giggled when the clients were behind closed doors, and commiserated over the never ending phone lines. I love these women.
6). I will forever respect the front desk staff of any establishment. Be nice to these wonderful people. They do far more than you would ever imagine. They will bend over backwards to help you when treated with respect and understanding. Push their buttons the wrong way and you can expect to never receive what you want.
I had such an interesting time! I am glad to not be there full time now (though I will fill in 3 more days next week) and to not have to take all of the Bishop and Client "I need to consult with a therapist for just a second (yeah right!)" kind of calls, but I have definitely learned that the basic values I have had since birth will make me so much more enjoyable to any establishment I work in. Be kind, be on time, be respectful, handle your own client's complaints, etc. I love my job even more now after seeing what goes on out front!
2 comments:
wow that is just nuts!!!
Thanks Alli, that was a really interesting perspective on what goes on at a therapist's front desk. I think I will now be more polite to the women at the front desks:)
Post a Comment