Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Perspective Change

Perspective is an interesting thing. When your perspective is in line with your personal values and core belief systems, a sense of inner peace is typically the result. Recently, I have felt pretty off. I think part of it has to do with all of the things that I would consider not right with my life. I spend every day doing things that I do not enjoy (i.e. being sick for FOREVER, writing a thesis, grading papers, feeling guilty for doing anything but the above listed, etc.) and that becomes my focus. During this time, my scripture reading has lacked personal meaning, and even my ability to be real with myself has changed. It is like I try to tell myself that everything is good, when in fact, it is ok for it not to be perfect. Here is where the change begins. This morning, I was feeling particularly grumpy. Kyle and I spent the weekend avoiding anything painful (homework, work, thesis, etc.) and then feeling guilty for just enjoying being together. I was overcome with guilt because yesterday, I still did not feel like I had even come close to catching up on all of the life details that have slipped by in recent weeks. I fell asleep last night (without washing my face, taking my contacts out, brushing my teeth, undressing, etc.) for probably the fourth time in a week and consequently had a really rough night. I woke up consistently and fought the knowledge that in order to sleep well, I would need to get up and do these things. Finally, I succumbed (around 1:30 am) and then found that I still was not sleeping well. This was the perfect recipe for a grumpy Alli this morning. I heard Kyle sneak into the shower trying not to wake me and I found myself trapped in a very coherent bout of negative self talk. I wanted to just roll back over and sleep for ages, but there was one thing that consistently bothered me. A BIRD. There was a bird outside my window chirping joyfully and keeping me very much awake. What was a bird doing at my window in late February when there is still snow on the ground? I have no idea, but it made me realize something. Even in the cold rainy day that we are having, this bird CHOSE to be happy. He was not worried about thesis deadlines and admitting to professors that he was far behind his goal. He was not worried about grading boring papers and having them submitted on time. He was not focused on the demands of clients and cleaning house and checking off lists. This bird sang because he loved to sing. I got up this morning with a new resolve to shake off this funk. Spending time with your friends, family, and spouse are things to be celebrating, not feeling guilty for. I remember in my BYU days making soup and cinnamon rolls with my roommates and celebrating the fact that the cold weather was dragging on and we could still warm ourselves with these simple pleasures. Perspective. It is truly all about how we view things and what lens we decide to look through that day. Today, I am going to grade papers and then go to work with joy. I will try to clean one small part of my little apartment and put away the laundry I did yesterday. I will tell my husband how grateful I am for him and his efforts and I will call a friend and let them know that I care. I will hear the birds outside and be grateful that they have chosen to sing even on a wet and dreary morning. And I will eat one of the cinnamon rolls we made on Sunday and remember the small pleasures of life. Hooray for perspective changes and blog entries that are the real expressions of my heart!

3 comments:

Heidi & Sio Latu said...

Funny that you had this perspective change. I have been feeling this way myself with work, etc. and just decided last night to get over and get on with it and be happy with what life is throwing at me. Time to re-group and re-focus and get on with the rest of eternity.
I'm glad that you are feeling better and have changed your perspective. Always remember that it's always worth it to take time to spend with your hubby or family or friends (old Brentwood roommates specifically).
I very much enjoyed your blog :)

LittleFamilyJL said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! It's funny how our busy lives can so easily get us to lose perspective of what is really important. I had a similar experience a while ago, (and funny too it even involved a BIRD.)

I was super busy with Mommy-ness, working, life etc. and to top it off, I had agreed to go help an elderly woman clean her home once a month. As I rushed to get there, and rushed to get her house cleaned, she stopped me and asked if I wanted a popsicle. In my mind, I thought, "Are you crazy? I don't have time for popsicles?" But I accepted. She wouldn't let me eat the popsicle while I cleaned either, but insisted that I sit with her on her porch. It really was a perspective-changing experience as we calmly sat on her porch and talked. There was a little hummingbird that kept flying around the porch, and she began to comment on how beautiful it was. I can't really explain what happened to me there, but I realized that while I was busy trying to get things done, life was passing by me. Here was a dear friend who through her simple words, taught me that there is always time to be still and enjoy our lives & relationships.
Sorry this was so long, but I think I needed to remind myself of this too. So, thanks!

PS. Those Cinnamon Rolls look DELICIOUS!!!

Abby said...

Yay for perspective change! It really does make a big difference deciding to be positive. That's one of the things I've learned from Flylday. Not only does she help you get organized with cleaning and everything, one of the first assignments she has you do is recognize negative voices in your head and tell yourself something nice instead. It's funny how often we just think that we just are never "enough." The trick is to be gentle to yourself and celebrate what you can do and don't beat yourself up about what you can't. Still working on that. :)
Love ya, Alli. Glad you're feeling better!

P.S. I agree with Linda about the cinnamon rolls. YUM!!