Friday, February 29, 2008

FIRE!!


This is my driveway!


Yesterday afternoon, we experienced one of the most exciting things that this small town has seen in YEARS! Kyle and I arrived home from a visit with a health insurance agent (Yucky process!) to see our road blocked off by the police department. We had two fire engines and one ambulance pass us as we were driving into our driveway, and we looked up the hill about a 1/2 block from us, we saw smoke pouring out of the parking garage for the university. Three nearby roads were blocked off and we saw about 7 fire engines and many police cars. 40+ fireman, 10+ policeman, an army ROTC unit, photographers, journalists, etc. We had arrived within ten minutes of the flames, so this was an extreme amount of people to have already been gathered. I think our local emergency responders (and the closest five towns!) were bored. Excited, we ran up the hill to hear a variety of stories from the curious onlookers
"There was a car bomb and the whole thing exploded up there!"
"There was a gas leak and the whole second story is on fire!"
"I think that there is a car on fire 'cause I did not hear an explosion.."
"Well, it smells like sulfur, so that probably means that it is a terrorist act aimed at helping distract our Basketball team from winning tonight."
"I think that it is a distraction method so that someone can commit a serious crime somewhere else in the Valley! There is a crime going on right now that it being ignored because every possible emergency response unit from the closest five towns is here on the scene!"


Needless to say, it was causing quite a stir. This morning, we found out what really happened... a car spontaneously combusted. I still like the other stories better. I think that we need a little more excitement in this town!

If you want to read the REAL story, it can be found Here. Interestingly enough, the biggest debate from this was the lack if local fire extinguishers.

6 comments:

Devin said...

Oh, I love Logan. Definitely a small town feel! Too bad for the owner of that car, tho!!

LittleFamilyJL said...

That is a funny story. Nothin' like a little spontaneous combustion celebrate Leap Year, eh?

LittleFamilyJL said...

That is a funny story. Nothin' like a little spontaneous combustion celebrate Leap Year, eh?

LittleFamilyJL said...

(Sorry for the double comment. Slow computer = impatient blogger.)

Michelle and Andy said...

haha, that's funny!

Us Bailey's said...

Sounds like a fun time. I think we enjoyed the other stories better too, but a car combusting is pretty cool too! Good luck with everything!
Mike and Angie