Sunday, October 19, 2008

The Make Up Post

Ok, now that I have had a weekend to breath, it is time to catch up on some of my life unrelated to trauma! Last weekend (in the middle of all of the bombs being dropped around me)we had decided long ago to make a journey to Idaho for some big occasions. 1) the missionary homecoming of Kellie's special friend whom we affectionately call the S. S. Bell, Young Spencer, and as of late... Gentile. 2) the official "meet the family weekend" for Nate's special friend, Tanja and 3) my brother Nate flying in from D.C. to see us. I have to admit, I did not present the best of my faces for the special friends of my siblings (I arrived in tears because I had just gotten off the phone with my professor and could not shake my stress/panic for the first two days), but hopefully they will forgive me. A few pictures from our event might explain the weekend best. First off, Tanja (who is from Miami and Norway) grew up in a family with some different views on gun control and hunting than our rather redneck type Idaho Clan. She was intrigued and just had to send a picture home so that her family would believe her... I think she will fit in fine!

We went to the cabin for a fun filled weekend and instead found an early blizzard. My time was spent typing on my thesis by the fire while everyone else had fun. When it came time to leave on Saturday, we were unable to truly drive out because the snow had gotten too deep (and we had driven in, but really could have snowmobiled out!).
We were pretty sad because one car made it out, but the truck slid off and was suspended with half of it off a steep hillside. Being pregnant, I got to sit in the car with my mom while Nate, my dad, and Kyle (who was in our car, but was summoned to hike in and help) spent an hour with a winch trying to get out and down the mountain. These were our sad faces because it was cold and we were tired and i was grouchy from my thesis drama.

On Sunday, we attended the Gentile's missionary homecoming and were pleasantly surprised that though we tease him about adjusting to home life so quickly (hence his new nickname), Elder Bell served a wonderful mission. We hardly saw Kellie at all that weekend because she was involved in all of his families festivities, but I did manage to get her to send me some pictures from their time to prove that he actually is home!

After the homecoming, we attended my families ward because we each had an important role in my mother's primary class lesson. She teaches the 7-8 year old kids in our ward and their lesson was on talents. We each took a turn performing a talent or sharing a non visible talent with her class so that they could understand the concepts. Then, my dad came in as well and proceeded to share his talent. Never before in church history has such a thing been done. He pulled out mouthpiece and proceeded to demonstrate his talent for bugling in elk. though he performed quietly, we were all cracking up. He then shared how he could bugle to the tune of various primary songs and had the kids playing "name that tune". I didn't know whether to be proud or mortified. the kids now think that Brother Webber is the coolest person EVER! I had to take a few photos. Tanja I am sure really thinks we are rednecks now!


It was a great moment for our family! I will add a new post after we get back from church with some of our latest happenings!

7 comments:

Devony said...

Looks like tons of fun even though it was stressful! Love you though and call me when you come up for air sometime!

Us Bailey's said...

Your families nack for nicknames cracks me up! I love it -- and yes, it looks like Nate's friend will fit in quit nicely!!!! And GOOD JOB, CONGRATULATIONS, YIPEEE for getting your paper turned in! And welcome to the land of the living again- we missed you!

Tanja said...

For the record, I didn't take the deadhead wader pictures for the purpose of showing my parents. I just couldn't resist getting some hilarious photos in general (and for posting on Facebook as well). I wasn't even going to show my parents those pictures, but then everyone kept asking me what my parents thought of the pictures, and so I sent them to them after all, and got some funny responses.

Nate said...

Thanks for hosting us. We had fun.

Cherie said...

Hello Alli!!! I'm so behind on catching up with my friends as I've been out of town for like 2 months straight! I just barely read that you are pregnant and I am sooooo excited for you guys! I'm sorry to hear about all of the trials that are going on at the same time :( Hopefully everything will get worked out very soon! Well, hopefully you continue to feel better at least!! Congrats again!!

Mandi Castro said...

Hi Alli, I love reading your blog... It is nice to see pictures of your family. Congrats on your new baby..

Harmony said...

So what's the story with Kellie and this RM? Did they date before he left? She looks very happy.